1) Tell us a little bit about your label (art) and what you do?
Outer Island makes souvenirs from Planet Earth for your home. It’s the Sydney based collaboration of partners Amy Ranck and Stephanie Chambers. All products are 100% designed and made in Australia using natural or recyclable materials. Our mission is to bring awareness to the magic of this world by creating products that focus on native plants, animals and habitant. Our line of hand painted wooden Christmas ornaments focuses on endemic Australian birds and fish.
2) What inspires your work?
We love to travel and we love to collect. Our favorite part of any new adventure is always the native plants and animals, but often we struggle to find souvenirs we like, especially from natural materials. So after many years of traveling to places we love we decided to create our own souvenirs of the unique flora and fauna of a places. We’ve started with Australia.
3) What jobs have you done other than being an artist?
Stephanie was an accountant and Amy managed retail shops.
4) What memorable responses have you had to your work?
People first comment on the craftsmanship and that we hand paint each of the items with such fine detail — be that on the bird face or on the fish series. The second thing they comment on is how unique they are.
5) One thing you can’t live without?
Stephanie – Paintbrush.
Amy – Snorkel gear.
6) What gets you up in the morning?
Coffee, coffee and then more coffee.
7) How would your best friend describe you in 3 words?
Adventurous, creative and wildlife defenders.
8) What is the next skill you want to learn?
9) What is your dream project?
To create the world’s largest butterfly garden.
10) Favourite or most inspirational place in Sydney?
Sydney Harbour National Forest – it’s so close and such a great walk. You can even stop to snorkel along the way in a reef with seahorses.
11) What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?
Be you, not them.
12) What advice would you give to new, aspiring Makers?
Be patient, keep going and take risks.
13) And most importantly, what would your ultimate karaoke song be?
Africa by Toto.