1) Tell us a little bit about your label (art) and what you do?
Jessica Ashley Unknown came about when I started blogging a few years ago. I was looking for a place to share my photos with others who might be interested in them or may be doing similar things; basically, a place that was more than just sharing photos with my friends on Facebook. It has since grown to be a pseudonym I use to represent my film based art photography. I use 35mm film with plastic or vintage cameras and multiple exposure or film distressing techniques to bring to life my strange imagination.
2) How did get into your type of work?
Several years ago I made good friends with a girl who had recently bought a Diana (lomography camera) and when I saw what she could do with it I knew I had to do it to. It has been a hobby of mine ever since.
3) What jobs have you done other than being an artist?
For the past 4 years or so I have worked in the study abroad field. Currently, I work with American students who study abroad to Sydney unis. I help put on an orientation when they arrive, plan events for them through the semester and just make sure they have an all-around good time in Australia!
4) Describe the best reactions you’ve had on work?
Several times I have found that more people react positively to photos that I don’t initially like myself and vice versa, photos I initially love don’t seem to get much of a reaction out of many people. I like to see which photos get more attention and try and figure out why.
5) One thing you can’t live without?
6) Aside from coffee, what gets you up in the morning?
My desire to be productive… but still, I need coffee.
7) How would your best friend describe you in 3 words?
Creative, Loyal, Inquisitive
8) What’s the next awesome skill you want to learn?
I would love to learn to develop my own film and work in a dark room.
9) Ignoring money and rules what would your dream project/artwork be?
A dream project of mine would be to travel to all different cities throughout the world and capture how I see them on film. Then put on a rad exhibition
10) Favourite place to chill in Sydney?
11) What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?
Believe in yourself. If you don’t why should anyone else?
12) What advice would you give to new, aspiring Makers?
Don’t make excuses, just do it. There is no time like the present and you learn as you go along; mistakes are a part of the process. Additionally, be kind, you never know who is going to help you get ahead.
13) And most importantly, what would your ultimate karaoke song be?
Juicy – Notorious B.I.G. … #whitegirlcanrap