1) Tell us a little bit about your label (art) and what you do?
I’m Sam Shennan. I’ve got inky fingers, I love to draw and I dig design. I’m an illustrator and a visual artist.I work mostly in bold bizarre, ink and line heavy surreal drawings/murals. My goal is to turn some heads. I’ve only recently diverted into the art scene where I work under the moniker UD3, which if you see my logo, is just Sam rotated 90 degrees.
2) How did get into your type of work?
Persistance and procrastination. I used to busily doodle in my uni lecture notes at COFA during design and typography classes. Once I was getting more attention in my row than the lecturer I thought I should try selling some of these drawings.
3) What jobs have you done other than being an artist?
Heaps! I was an archery coach for 7 years; I ran a pizza shop after working there for 5 years. I’ve been an extra/background artist for TV & ads. I’ve been delivering furniture for 7 years, warehouse jobs, IT, accounting temps, babysitting, delivering papers. I’ve never had a real day job. I’m currently working in house as an illustrator for high school science educational resources.
4) Describe the best reactions you’ve had on work?
The best is when some person from far overseas like Austria sees my work on a blog and hits me up about getting the design inked in his skin, forever. Amazing, I was basically drunk when I drew that one.
5) One thing you can’t live without?
My friends, I really recharge myself from meeting up with mates, old and new ones. I find it hard to be a proper reclusive artist. I was a horribly shy as a kid though so I’m still working on that.
6) Aside from coffee, what gets you up in the morning?
When I was working 6 different jobs 7 days a week in my gap year I learned a great trick. Wake up/go to bed thinking about what exciting new thing you are going to be doing that day. There’s always something you haven’t done before, even in dull jobs.
7) How would your best friend describe you in 3 words?
Puns, sunburn, accidents.
8) What’s the next awesome skill you want to learn?
Be able to remember people’s names the first time I hear them.
9) Ignoring money and rules what would your dream project/artwork be?
A massive mural on the side of a huge building, I would do one of my totem poles with tons of detail and quirky fun. Would the owner of the one looming next to maccas in Waterloo please drop me a line? I’ll settle for a Vivid Opera House motion graphic gig though.
10) Favourite place to chill in Sydney?
It was so bloody rad and chill! But I enjoyed it so much my mind blanked it out.
11) What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?
Life’s a big fun experiment. Just remember to learn from the results.
12) What advice would you give to new, aspiring Makers?
Don’t eat too many carrots just ‘cos they’re cheap. (I turned orange during uni.)
13) And most importantly, what would your ultimate karaoke song be?
By the time I get up to sing, it doesn’t matter. I’m probably not going to remember the night.