Work-Shop Makery is teaming up again with Just Drinks, where we will be weaving, drinking tea and aspiring to make change in our community.
On White Ribbon Night communities across Australia are encouraged to unite together to bring an end to violence against women by having a night in to get the word out. So Work-Shop Makery thought, what better activity to bring people together, than contributing to the international weaving project #onemillionstars to #endviolence!
We would love to have a cup of tea with you, so come join us in this worthy cause and #getyourstarweaveon! x
Violence against women is a serious problem in Australia. This needs to stop.
* Over 12 months, on average, one woman is killed every week as a result of intimate partner violence.
* Intimate partner violence is the leading contributor to death, disability and ill-health in Australian women aged 15-44.
* One in three women have experienced physical and/or sexual violence perpetrated by someone known to them.
* One in four children are exposed to domestic violence, which is a recognised form of child abuse.
* The cost of violence against women to the Australian economy is estimated to rise to $15.6 billion per annum.
* One in five women experience harassment within the workplace.
* One in five women over 18 has been stalked during her lifetime.
Source: White Ribbon
What you'll get
This is a ticketed event, where all monetary donations will be going to White Ribbon, and all woven stars will be donated to the #onemillionstar project. Your donation will get you a White Ribbon ribbon, materials to make stars, a cup of tea by The Saha Store and some yummy nibblies. If you would like to make any further donations, we will be collecting money on the night for White Ribbon.
what to bring
- If you want to practice weaving stars before you arrive, check out the instructional video here. Or learn on the night from your fellow star weavers.
- A few extra coins to make donations to White Ribbon.
- Friends! Family! Loved ones!