1) Tell us a little bit about your label (art) and what you do?
Whimsical Art has several product areas – baby clothes, camera t-shirts, collagraph prints and the list goes on. I also wrote and illustrated a children’s book – “Errol Can’t Fly” for my wonderful daughter Hollie. Basically, I love drawing, especially printmaking, and everything evolved from there.
2) What inspires your work?
I took a printmaking class several years ago with an amazing woman – Bernhardine Mueller. She’s a fantastic teacher and wonderful artist. She reignited my love of art and gave me confidence to put my work out in the marketplace.
3) What jobs have you done other than being an artist?
I worked at Channel 7 for over 20 years, starting in the newsroom, moving on to Home & Away and ending my time there subtitling for hearing-impaired. I was retrenched while being treated for cancer and didn’t want to return to a “normal” job.
4) What memorable responses have you had to your work?
I think my own responses are the most memorable – creating an artwork just makes me happy.
5) One thing you can’t live without?
6) What gets you up in the morning?
The dogs tapping on the bedroom door!
7) How would your best friend describe you in 3 words?
Passionate, persistent, loyal.
8) What is the next skill you want to learn?
I could really do with some marketing skills.
9) What is your dream project?
I’d like to do another children’s book.
10) Favourite or most inspirational place in Sydney?
I love kayaking, so anywhere with safe water. In cooler weather, you’ll see me paddling around Blackwattle Bay.
11) What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?
Life ain’t perfect.
12) What advice would you give to new, aspiring Makers?
Don’t give up.
13) And most importantly, what would your ultimate karaoke song be?
“You’ve lost that lovin’ feeling’’. I was so bad, I won a contest.
Find more about Trish here: http://whimsicalart.com.au/