1) Tell us a little bit about your label (art) and what you do?
I have an eco friendly brand of home décor and toys (soon to be clothing as well). I hand make all of my products myself using recycled and end roll materials. Everything is exclusive and available for a limited time only. All of my stuffing is also made in Australia and is made 100% out of recycled plastic bottes, fun fact: for every 1kg of the stuffing, 70 bottles are saved from landfill.
2) What inspires your work?
My suburb of Newtown is what inspired me to start Mintchi and I still find a lot of inspiration in this everyday, it is about slowing down and appreciating the smallest things, from the people around me, and my natural surroundings, this is where I find my inspiration. I don’t like to follow trends and my best source of inspiration is from nature and comes when I am relaxed and least expecting it.
3) What jobs have you done other than being an artist?
I studied fashion design and graduated with an Advanced Diploma in 2007. I worked in the fashion industry across design and product development for 7 years before starting Mintchi last November.
4) What memorable responses have you had to your work?
A lady bought one of my personalized name pillows recently and told me that she loved it so much she is designing her whole baby’s nursery around it. I thought that was amazing that just my pillow was the starting point for the whole room’s inspiration for little Mae who wasn’t even born yet.
5) One thing you can’t live without?
Probably like most girls chocolate, but I will also say a healthy one and that’s yoga.
6) What gets you up in the morning?
Mintchi!! J And coffee, coffee is up there!
7) How would your best friend describe you in 3 words?
Free-spirited, Determined, Reliable
8) What is the next skill you want to learn?
9) What is your dream project?
Furthering on the classes which I have recently done, I would love to grow this and offer craft classes to dis advantaged children.
10) Favourite or most inspirational place in Sydney?
On any beach and amongst nature, Newtown has contributed a lot in the inspiration for Mintchi so I guess if it has to be an actual place it will have to be Newtown.
11) What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?
Expect nothing appreciate everything.
12) What advice would you give to new, aspiring Makers?
Do it because you love it, don’t be afraid to try different things and change things if things are not working – but do not give up!
13) And most importantly, what would your ultimate karaoke song be?
I don’t do it enough to have an ultimate karaoke song, but it would probably be something classic/daggy. I remember singing this with one of my previous bosses at a Christmas party that was pretty fun: Total Eclipse of the Hart by Bonnie Tyler… Or a song that gets me moving is I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Huston so maybe I should pick this!