Basket Weaving is one of the oldest traditional crafts practiced in many countries around the world. The variety of materials used is endless and mainly sourced from plant material available in the local environment.
The joy of making a basket from materials collected from the natural environment is both satisfying and exciting. You will be filled with pride as you admire your own handmade basket. The joy you can experience when you give a gift basket you have made, filled with homemade goodies is a pleasure to give and an immense delight to receive.
This workshop will be held at Judith and Richards Sunshine Coast Creative Patch overlooking the lake.
We will use materials we have sourced from our garden, and vines we have collected from revegetation and clearing sites. Participants will learn how to collect and prepare many typical garden plants and create a Random Weave Wild Basket. This basket consists of a Randomly Rigid Rim which has a few Randomly place Ribs, then lots of Randomly woven Vines. There are only a few basic rules and lots of Wild and Creative Freeform Weaving. These baskets are ideal to store your Fruit & Veg or to display with pride as an original Work of Art !!
Please be aware no refunds are given in the 4 week lead up to this workshop.
What you'll get
- All materials supplied to make a large basket
- Tips on how to collect, prepare and store organic weaving materials.
- The skills you will learn will allow you to make and create many styles of baskets using endless types of readily available resources.
what to bring
- Wear old clothes or an apron as it can get a little grubby
- Scissors are supplied, but bring along a favourite pair of secateurs if you have some
- Participants will go home with a useful handmade basket, instruction leaflet, plant material list and the skills to make many more basket creations
Be sure to check out our Terms & Conditions before grabbing a ticket.