Jump on board the world’s latest craft obsession. Easy to pick up and hard to put down, tufting is primarily used in rug making and can be applied to a plethora of projects, including pillows, art pieces, furniture, and clothing. The only limit is your imagination. In this hands-on masterclass spread over two sessions, we’ll cover everything you need to know about tufting and you’ll come away with your own custom, one-of-a-kind rug.
We’ll start with designing and planning our projects, then moving on to a quick run-down on various techniques, including hand-tufting and hooking, before moving on to machine tufting with AK-1 cut pile tufting guns. Investing in one of these bad boys (not to mention the rest of the setup) is an expensive purchase, so you’ll have the chance to practice and test one before pulling the trigger.
You’ll learn how to set up your frame for tufting, rug design principles, safe and proper use of a tufting gun, techniques for a professional finish, and some basic troubleshooting. Then it’s your turn. Spend the rest of the session tufting up a storm, bringing your creation to life. Towards the end of the class, we’ll discuss various options for sealing your yarn in place, and we’ll finish by securing it with glue.
After 12 hours of drying, you’ll return the next morning to finish your rug. We’ll discuss the wide range of rug backing options available to you and teach you an effective finishing technique for your magic carpet. Finally, we’ll spend the rest of the session fine-tuning our creations, tidying up edges, and trimming excess yarn.
What you'll get
- A 60cm x 40 cm custom rug, made by you!
- All the materials required to make a rug – including access to an AK 1 cut pile tufting gun, yarn, frames, and finishing supplies.
- A comprehensive workbook, complete with a full rundown on what was covered in the class, as well as information on sourcing materials and additional learning resources.
what to bring
- An idea on a design you’d like to complete. Please note that you’ll be able to select three yarn colours to work with for the session.
- If you would like to trace a design, please either print it out to size (60 x 40cm) or bring the image file on a USB.
Be sure to check out our Terms & Conditions before grabbing a ticket.