This introductory beginners sewing class will teach you all the basics to get you started on the sewing machine! You will learn basic sewing skills including how to cut fabric, how to use a simple pattern, and how to perform a few different stitches. You will walk out having finished a project you thought you could never do! You will gain a solid foundation of machine and hand sewing. You may not be ready to produce a Dior jacket quite yet, but at least you’ll be able to sew that ripped pillow on your couch.
You will learn the fundamentals of your sewing machine and the basic sewing techniques to get your started in sewing! We’ll cover the parts of the machine and get to know what each component does and how to use them. We’ll go over a few sewing exercises to build confidence and introduce few little tricks to improve your accuracy along the way. Finally to tie it all together, and to introduce using patterns and cutting in fabric, we’ll do a mini project to take home.
Students are welcome to bring their own machines or we have Machines you can rent for the workshop! If you are bring a brand new machine along, please come to the workshop 10-15 minutes prior so Ann-Maree can help you set it up!
What you'll get
- Pro guidance and skills to tackle future sewing projects
- You’ll gain confidence using a sewing machine
what to bring
- Feel free to bring along your own sewing machine if you want advice on using. We also supply machines at a small hire cost.
- Please arrive 10 minutes early if you are bringing a machine you have never used before.
- Please make sure your machine works and you have all the bits and attachments for it before you come to the class!
Be sure to check out our Terms & Conditions before grabbing a ticket.