Rest in Pieces invites you to attend an introductory, hands-on workshop where you can explore the fascinating age-old practice of taxidermy.
Rest in Pieces newest team member, Roshana Vander Wall, will share her knowledge of the dying arts so you can begin your journey into the art of taxidermy: taxis, meaning ‘arrangement’ and derma, meaning ‘skin’.
You don’t need to have any previous taxidermy experience to take part in this workshop. Roshana will teach you basic chick anatomy while guiding you through the correct process of skinning, preserving and mounting your specimen.
There are different techniques used for mounting mammals and birds in taxidermy. In this workshop, you will learn the traditional torso building technique of soft body wrapping to mount (recreate) the body of your baby chick. You will also learn how to preserve the chick’s feet with injections.
At the end of the workshop you will have created your own beautiful baby chick taxidermy from start to finish. To end the day, we will help you mount your baby chick in a glass dome, so you can display your gorgeous work with confidence.
Everything will be supplied on the day including your baby chick, tools, glass dome and base, an apron, lunch and a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages so that you can sit back, relax and enjoy the day. (Note, alcoholic beverages are only available for students 18+)
Feeling inspired and want to continue working on your new taxidermy skills once you get home? When you register for the workshop you can book a workshop ticket plus a kit.
Workshop + kit contains:
- A frozen baby chick to work on at home
- A complete set of the same tools and materials used in the workshop (excluding a glass dome and base)
- A set of instructions so you can follow the same process used in the workshop
We also have other merchandise available to complement your take home kit such as glass domes and RIP aprons.
To make life easier, you have the option to choose instalment billing at checkout. We recommend booking early so your payments are spread out.
– If you have your heart set on taking our intermediate rabbit taxidermy workshop, you will need to complete our beginner rat taxidermy workshop or DIY Revival Kit first.
– If you are flying in for the workshop and want a take-home kit, you will need to have checked-in luggage as the sharp items will not be accepted in hand luggage.
– Make sure to let us know about any dietary requirements when you register.
– Unfortunately, our studio is not fully accessible for wheelchair users. Do you have other accessibility requirements? Please contact us before you register for any of our workshops to make sure we can make the necessary adjustments to give you a great experience.
Buy a ticket here
What you'll get
- Your very own baby chick to work on
- All the tools required for your taxidermy experience
- A glass dome to mount your specimen in at the end of the day
what to bring
- Camera or camera phone and get ready to #restinpieces and feel free to add @restinpieces to your instagram
- A strong tummy
Be sure to check out our Terms & Conditions before grabbing a ticket.