The deep blue of Indigo Dyeing is pure magic, especially when you can learn how to set it up in your own home to revamp clothes and furnishings! Learn the ancient Japanese art of Shibori fabric dyeing, creating unique and intricate patterns. You’ll while away the morning folding, twisting and manipulating fabric, then get your hands dirty in a natural indigo vat to dye your creations.
We’ll walk you through a number of shibori techniques, explain the history and uses of indigo dye, and outline how to create and maintain a natural indigo vat to keep dyeing at home. You’ll leave with the fabrics you’ve created, a 100% cotton scarf, and the knowledge and inspiration to pursue shibori at home. All materials are provided, just bring along your creativity and curiosity.
Omoshiroi desu ne!
What you'll get
• Tools and materials: clamps, pegs, string, etc
• Test pieces unbleached cotton fabric
• 100% cotton scarf, 45 cm x 180 cm
• Plenty of indigo dye
what to bring
- Wear comfortable clothes and closed shoes that aren’t so precious as the play can get messy- an apron could help too.
- Old plastic bags for your wet indigo dyed creations.
- Your own pieces to dye made from natural materials only: cotton, linen, silk, wool, rayon, (pre-washed, light in colour if possible), like tops, shirts, pillowcases, socks, undies, bras etc. Fabric pieces no bigger than 1m please.
Be sure to check out our Terms & Conditions before grabbing a ticket.