Tired timber treasures lying around, longing for a new lease on life? Whether it’s that worn-out stool you’ve had for ages or a vintage bedside table find, this furniture painting class is your golden ticket to transforming them. Upcycling isn’t just a creative endeavor; it’s a sustainable choice.
Give your pieces the glow-up they deserve and step into the world of sustainable upcycling. Perfect for beginners, this furniture refurbishing workshop is your gateway to the world of furniture flipping and painting, where sustainability meets style.
Our full-day adventure kicks off with a deep dive into identifying the material of your furniture piece – be it softwood, hardwood, laminate, or veneer.
Next, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. We’ll guide you through the essential steps of preparation – think cleaning, scuff sanding and addressing that pesky tannin bleed-through that can sometimes haunt wooden furniture.
We’ll introduce you to the myriad of primers and paints out there, helping you navigate the difference between water-based, oil-based, and shellac-based primers and the whole spectrum of paint types and finishes. We’ll also cover the best brushes and techniques to avoid streaks and achieve a professional finish. And for that smooth, brush-streak-free finish? We’ve got you covered on the best brushes and techniques.
Post-preparation, we’ll take a group trip to our local hardware store (a short 5-minute stroll). Here, you’ll pick out your perfect shade, setting the mood for your revamped piece. After breaking for lunch, we’ll roll up our sleeves and get down to the actual painting.
This furniture painting class is a judgment-free zone, ideal for anyone looking to explore the rewarding world of furniture refurbishing. You’ll leave not only with a rejuvenated piece of furniture but also with the know-how and confidence to continue creating beautifully upcycled pieces for your home.
* Please note that furniture refurbishing is a large topic. This class will focus on painting furniture and not sanding to bare wood, paint stripping, major repairs, upholstery, or varnishing.
Our venue is located on the first floor and accessible via a flight of stairs.
What you'll get
- All tools, paints, primers, and supplies are provided to upcycle your piece. You will be able to select your choice of paint colour on the day.
- Expert guidance and expertise.
- A handout full of information, tips, and tricks, including everything covered in the session.
what to bring
- A small piece of furniture to work on.
- Please only bring furniture that requires one person to carry it. Larger pieces are not possible within the time frame of the class.
- We recommend bringing something like a bedside table, or medium-sized stool. If you are unsure, feel free to send us an image before the class.
- Clothes that you don’t mind getting a little grubby.
- Closed-toed shoes.
- Lunch and a water bottle.
Be sure to check out our Terms & Conditions before grabbing a ticket.