Casey Schuurman is a big believer in beginning by hand. Her go-to design partner-in-crime is custom lettering — it’s charming, expressive and adds instant handcrafted flair. Brush Script Lettering is a versatile tool to have in your repertoire — different treatments create countless styles and endless applications! This workshop will assist you in learning custom lettering skills and styles to apply to your own creative practice and personal projects.
In the first half of this 4 hour masterclass you will be guided through the need-to-know fundamentals of handcrafted typography and brush script lettering. We will focus on perfecting the basics, using a set of basic strokes that combine to create a hand lettered alphabet. As well as how to angle the Tombow brush pen, consistency and brush tips + tricks.
The second half of the class is dedicated to upgrading your lettering skills and use of composition. We will focus on the principles of creating a unique hand lettered piece (concept, layout, rhythm, proportion and embellishment). You will also learn how to flourish, ‘bounce’ your letters and work with different baselines. For the finale, Casey will provide feedback on your work to help to complete your own custom brush lettered artwork.
You’ll walk away with a completed custom brush lettering piece, the know-how to continue practising at home, an improved knowledge of typography and further honed hand lettering skills. These can be applied to anything from branding, signage, posters, custom stationery, personal projects and beyond. Think big!
All lettering lovers welcome! This workshop starts from the very basics so that you can achieve a good understanding of technique to improve on at home. No prior experience necessary
Casey Schuurman is a Melbourne based Designer that specialises in Custom Typography and Lettering. She holds a qualification in Communication Design from RMIT University and has completed the intensive Typography course at Abbotsford’s Old School New School. Casey prides herself on beginning all projects by hand and has a love for all things poetic, ironic and involving wordplay. She is currently freelancing as a Lettering artist, joyfully creating expressive, handcrafted Typography every day. You can see her work and say hello at caseyschuurman.com or on Instagram @caseyschuurman.
What you'll get
- Learn the need-to-know fundamentals of handcrafted typography and brush script lettering
- Learn the basic strokes that combine to create a hand lettered alphabet, as well as how to angle the Tombow brush pen, consistency and brush tips + tricks
- Learn the principles of creating a unique hand lettered piece (concept, layout, rhythm, proportion and embellishment) plus how to flourish, ‘bounce’ your letters and work with different baselines
- Brush Lettering notes + guides
- A 6 pack of Tombow Dual Brush Pens to keep
- Paper and card stock to work on
- Afternoon tea provided
what to bring
- A favourite phrase or word to create a lettering artwork out of (best to keep below 3-4 words)
- Bring a friend and receive a discount!
Be sure to check out our Terms & Conditions before grabbing a ticket.