For the uninitiated, songwriting seems to be something of a dark art. We hear the exceptional stories of musicians waking up with entire songs in their heads, ready to be transcribed and realised on their instrument.
How is that even possible??
Surely it’s a gift that can’t be taught?
What we don’t hear about with that story is the hundreds of songs and ideas that the songwriter has written to hone their craft. Like any craft, there are basic skills that need to be learned and practised before we can expect success. Our favourite songs all share something in common – they elicit an emotional response, they are memorable, and more often than not they are surprisingly simple.
Take this beginners guide to popular songwriting and unleash the inner Beyonce or Bob Dylan inside YOU! You will be given the tools to create or rework your own compositions, tailored to your ambition and musical style. Suitable for ages 12 and up, intermediate musical skill and knowledge recommended but not essential.
What you'll get
Topics that will be covered in this workshop include
- Song structures
- Creative process – writers block, music first vs. lyrics first
- Hooks – lyric vs. melody. Instrumental
- Chord Progressions
- Subjects of successful songs
what to bring
- Your passion for writing and music!
- Your favourite writing pad or journal for note taking
- Your favourite writing pen (we can provide if you forget)