Wax resist dying / printing of fabric is an ancient art form which existed in Egypt in the 4th century BC. Mummies were wrapped in BATIK decorated cloth!!
However, the art of BATIK is most highly developed in the island of Java in Indonesia.
Come and learn this beautiful and ancient Indonesian resist painting and dying technique. My classes take you step by step through the 3 main stages of drawing, waxing, and painting to create your own beautiful, unique design.
Each student gets to take home their finished batik design either on a t-shirt, apron, tea towel, or cushion cover ready to be turned into a beautiful homeware product. Plus the knowledge to continue practicing at home.
There will be a short break for lunch! We have a cafe on sight , or you are welcome to bring your own food (we also have kitchen facilities).
What you'll get
- All materials provided including, fabric, wax, paint brushes, tjatings, heating pots and dye
- Your choice of either cotton t-shirt , cotton apron, linen/cotton t-towels, or cotton cushion covers, to put your design on!
- Plenty of design templates to choose from! (Optional)
what to bring
- You are welcome to freehand your own design! So bring your ideas!
- Please wear clothes you don’t mind getting messy!
Be sure to check out our Terms & Conditions before grabbing a ticket.